History

The Baptist Collegiate Ministry at the University of Oklahoma was started in 1926 and continues to have impact worldwide.

In 1926, the Baptist Student Union was formed (now called Baptist Collegiate Ministry) at the University of Oklahoma with the help and commitment of Preacher Hallock at FBC Norman. For 40 plus years BSU remained a positive influence and impact on the students and community of OU.

In 1967, Max Barnett became the director with the desire to make disciples at the University of Oklahoma. Max’s spiritual legacy has shaped individuals, campuses and seminaries worldwide. Max served as Director from 1967-2004.

In 2006, under the leadership of then Director John Kelsey, BCM started an on-campus bible study called Paradigm.  Students come each week to learn the Bible and worship Jesus together.

Since 2012, Bethel Baptist Church of Norman has graciously allowed BCM to office at 1320 West Lindsey.

Over the years, BCM has continued to grow and send students all over the world. The campus is a great mission field for impacting future leaders and reaching students from many different backgrounds.

By God’s grace this is all possible through the generous giving and prayer support of alumni and a larger network of churches and collegiate ministries across the state of Oklahoma called the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma

Moving forward we want to see nothing less than a movement of disciples, who make disciples who also make disciples of Jesus here in Norman and across the world.

Multiplying Disciples, Multiplying Ministries


What happens when Southern Baptists invest in making disciples on college/university campuses? Lives are transformed by the gospel. Missionaries are sent. New churches and ministries are planted around the globe. The Cooperative Program is the key way we partner together to reach students and to reach the world for Christ.

Find out how you can be a part of what God is doing through Paradigm!